Latest Posts

Tuesday 10 July 2012

Pizza herb boxes and Tea gardens

I was recently at a Mid Winter Christmas party and while sipping mulled wine the host and I shot outside with a torch to look at their garden.  This edible garden was a walk through stone paved patch with pockets of planting space that encouraged you to wander it's paths to be surprised at each turn.  I loved the concept and it blended so well in their urban yard.  I can't wait to see it in full swing in Summer. This gardener had also made a hub for summer with a pizza oven amongst the banana palms.  Either a DIY job like they did or a commercially purchased one from a company like Piazza Ovens www.pizzaovens.co.nz will see you set for summer entertaining at home.  I had to giggle when I saw this image of a New Zealander who has made his letterbox into a pizza oven! 

The best thing about a pizza party is most of your toppings and side salads can come straight from your garden.  All of this inspired me to at least begin with putting together some pizza herb gardens with my favourite 'supreme' flavours to punch up the flavour of my fare.  I quite like the look of using empty old wooden nail boxes as mini herb gardens or like here, if you have some fancy wine boxes around it is quite a classy spin to fill them with your edibles.  

 To make them last longer line with plastic and then add a layer of stones for drainage and fill with soil.  I like to use the new living earth Vege mix as it has Dolomite and sheep pellets already in it.  Another classic is always the half wine barrel and the hard wood here has a longer life span to fill without having to line first; whatever the vessel you use, to make it easy for the not so inclined to cook in your family to harvest the right ones under your instruction - group the herbs in relevant boxes to make sence of your garden, then if your like me (the one stuck in the kitchen with messy hands making) can carry on with the food prep.  In my new herb gardens planted on the deck for easy reach I have grouped what I call a 'pizza box' in one box that will sit in full sun - Oregano, Golden Oregano, Thyme, Marjoram.  My Christmas lunch barrel has Dill for the fish and Sage, parsley, Rosemary and Lovage for the red and white meats.  In a shady area there is Coriander that I have potted in bulk.  Keeping it growing in shade will prevent it from bolting and getting nothing other than flowers and seeds... however I do plant a certain amount each year in full sun so I can harvest seed for cooking and growing more plants from. Then there is the lemon balm box in the shade and the last two boxes will have one filled with Basil as we use so much of it and this year after inspiration from another friend I am planting a 'tea' garden for fresh herb teas - divine.  This will be a mix of chamomile, Valerian, lemon balm, peppermint and an old rose that has beautiful hips will be centre stage.  
 


I have been carting one from place to place for years, roses are so hardy they can take the lift and cart treatment.  Rugosa roses are my favourite and the only thing that fails me with this one is the name that is long gone.  Now is the time to plant your roses so visit your local garden centre for your favourite summer time blooms.

Happy Gardening and Happy School Holidays!

Gardening by the Moon this week

July 9 - 14 Prune Roses
July 15      Spray for pests and diseases.  My Easy Edible Gardens CD has a collection of great home made sprays that you can put together now. Order from my website www.edenliving.co.nz

No comments:

Post a Comment