Latest Posts

Monday 2 July 2012

Time to think about baskets, compost prep and onions!

Now that we are over the 'half way point' of the year it excites me to daydream about Spring.  My overall favourite season I think - when I drift off in thoughts of intoxicating spring bulbs, fresh bright new foliage on hedges, I can not wait to see my fruit trees burst in flower - it really will be a sight!  Knowing that Spring is not too far away now and already I've been seeing some confused daffs popping up this brings to my attention that we really only have one more month to get fruit trees planted in your garden.  Nothing can to be sweeter than picking your own fresh fruit from home so visit your local garden centre for the right trees for your location and get them in the ground!

These school holidays we are having fun already, planning the hanging baskets that we will plant.  I want lots of herbs close to my kitchen for adding to salads, pizzas and dressings so I have set a competition amongst the kids for the most thoughtful hanging basket conglomeration of herbs.  So far we have old colander stacks, cane baskets that are literally hanging and the traditional brush-stick that are great for slitting holes in the sides and having seedlings grow from all sides and underneath.  First tip for you is to retain water so make sure you mix some water retentive crystals available from all garden centres into your soil.  Follow the preparation instructions but essentially add them to the soil as a wet jelly.  These moisture gems will make or break your final result as mid summer they can quickly dry up and collapse under the intense heat.  Hanging baskets are particularly ideal so that you save using up too much 'walk' space on your outdoor deck or patio with lots of random post as with elevated gardening you lift your gardens above head height out of the way.  To rev things up a bit make some of the baskets a mix of bright coloured annuals for interest.  Lobelia, petunia and primula have such a long flower season and the combination of flower shape and contrast in foliage look great together.   Visit my pinterest page on http://www.facebook.com/pages/Eden-Living-Garden/169973749722833?sk=app_305927716147259 for some pins I have found with the kids that pull together great inspiration of hanging and leaning garden baskets and beds. 

In your edible garden from today until the 6th find some time to douse your plants with liquid feed - I have lots of great recipes and my favourite is on my Easy Edible Gardens CD available on the web site www.edenliving.co.nz.  While you're there check out the latest video on composting and learn a bit more about the practical and simple method of Bokashi composting - a non smell solution to dispose of everything from raw meat and fish to all other food scraps. Book now for my upcoming workshop on the 4th August and tell your other interested green (or blue) fingered friends.  All my courses flow on well from each other so the composting and liquid feed workshop is a great place to start.


Coming up in your garden

July 1 - 6 Feed your plants with liquid food.  Easy to make yourself and gives a boost to your edibles
July 3 - 6 Till only again (don't worry soon you'll be wishing you could till only as in no time you'll have extended plant and sow only on the way!)
July 7 and 8 Pop in some more Garlic and get Onion seedling planting - time consuming as it is plant out the grass-like seedlings 6cm apart in anticipation of big bulbs.  Another trick an old timer gardener taught me was to plant them on their sides for a better take


Happy Gardening everyone xx

No comments:

Post a Comment